Taking your child for blood work can be stressful on the best of days. Our family has had our fair share of medical issues and are currently being worked up for some more things. My youngest had to go to get more blood work today. We are lucky to have a facility that uses “magic spray” to make the stick practically painless but that has not always been the case. Here are a few tips to make the experience less painful.
- Be honest with your kids- they are going to feel a pinch
- Explain to them that they need to relax- the blood flows faster if they are calm
- Drink plenty of water the day before and the day of the test- it makes your veins easier to see and feel by the phlebotomist
- Distract your child- if your child is small and doesn’t understand this- then bring a favorite toy- sing to them- anything they love
- Be calm yourself- your child senses if you are afraid and they will react accordingly
- And ASK ahead of time if they have a spray or cream that will numb the area first.
Our test was fast and easy today and my son isn’t afraid anymore. It stinks that we have to go to the doctors as much as we do but it’s nice to know that it’s no longer traumatic.